Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I understand!!!

Ok, so a while ago I read somewhere that some "metalheads" think that thinking about music is taking away from the whole point of it. Now I pondered this for a while, I thought back to when I was once a fan of speed/thrash metal (I still am, just not nearly as much as i used to be), but couldnt really understand what that statement meant. And I realized the other day what I think it means. I believe it means that if you think about the world of music itself, or, become a critic about it lets say, and THAT is what takes away from the point of it. Cause I was listening to Phil and Ryan talk about different albums and pretty much rating them (dont get offended ryan, that just re-sparked the pondering of what I wanted to know what that statement was about), and I realized that it's silly to rate them and say what level a certain album peice of music is on or what have you. The point is to appreciate what a certain peice is. If you start rating things and/or making fun of other things then you become a critic. I've tried my best over the past year or so to think about the right ways to go about situation or topics like this, and Im kind of starting to understand. I've hardly scratched the surfice, but it's making more sense. It's one thing when you say you preffer a certain style or genre or album over another, but its entirely different when you say, "This sucks, and what I like is better", because thats just your opinion. One thing can be completely ideal to one person, while the other person could think its stupid and pointless, that's too critical. Good music is good music and that's it. So stop thinking about it so much. Thinking about what you're going to be playing or adding in a certain part or certain notes to make it more complex or how difficult its gonna be is different than say its better than something else.

4 Comments:

At June 15, 2004 at 8:45 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

Here here, Tim! To hell with the critics. Furthermore, I'd like to add that METALLICA RULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZ!

 
At June 15, 2004 at 8:46 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

haha well i am a critic and i won't ever pretend not to be. lying to yourself is tantamount to explosion

-The Critic

 
At June 15, 2004 at 8:48 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

I agree, adding only that I think it's perfectly fine to Rate albums you like by their musical value To You, you just shouldn't speak of them in a general sense. For instance, we often say "five greatest albums of all time", and this should be in my opinion replaced with something like, "my five most loved albums of all time, tim's a stupid bastard queer."
or something. just no generalization, if you bear in mind that your views are only views, then critiquing is quite alright, as far as I am concerned; and I think Ryan's got a handle on that.

 
At June 15, 2004 at 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree completely with johnny. its ok to rate music as you see it just not generally. however, im not gonna say ive never rated it generally, i hav many times and prolly will in the future. but that doesnt mean its wat u should do. i do think u hav to appreciate music for being music tho, becuz everyone sees things differently, and wat is beautiful to u will not always be beautiful to everyone else or vice versa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home