Sunday, April 30, 2006

Mr. Corea in Boston

Boston is a strange city, but perhaps only because I live in a town.
My parents and I, along with Ben, his friend Danny, and Al arrived in Boston at about 7pm last Friday. Ben and Dan and I went for a walk to a local record store which had a wonderful selection. Unfortunately time restraints and desperate needs for a bathroom called us away so we went into a pizza/sub place. I swore I saw one of my sisters friends who goes to Berklee working there. I wasn't sure if it was him so I didn't bother to say anything but I'm pretty sure it was him.

We headed back to the doors of the performance center and walked in at 7:45 to get our seats and take in the ambiance. The seats weren't bad but both times I've been there before have been better for viewing. It's a fairly small place though so there aren't really bad seats.

The trio (Chick Corea, Eddie Gomez, and Airto Moreira) began walking around the stage with different types of shakers and noise makers to begin what sounded like an improv at first. Chick eventually sat down at the keyboard and Airto began to sing from behind the drums. It wasn't really singing, more like like chanting. I have heard chanting like that before, but never in person. It takes on such a different presence when someone is doing it in front of you. Airto seemed to be an endless wellspring of ideas and sounds. They played an improvisation that hit a peak (for me at least) about half way through when Airto began to throat sing. I have never heard anyone throat sing along with an eclectic improv like this and I hope it wasn't the last. His voice took on a different tonality altogether. It hardly sounded human, but it was wonderful. They played a few standard jazz tunes and a few latin/brazilian tunes, which were the highlights for me. Although it would be silly for me to think of anything less than superb being played I was still amazed at how much I was hearing that I hadn't heard before. Oh if only I could speak of it as it deserves I may not feel so stupid writing this. Curse me!

"Intentional action generates intentional results and unforeseeable repercussions.
Unintentional action generates unintended consequences and inevitable repercussions."- Robert Fripp

1 Comments:

At May 1, 2006 at 12:04 PM, Blogger Tim? said...

I knew you and Robert were married. And we dont refer to him as "Robbie", we refer to him as "Ol' Bobby Fripps". So please, if you're going to be married to him, at least pronounce his name correctly. Also I think Chick Corea's real name is Armondo. I know that's his dad's name but I think it's his as well. Anyway, this is far too long to be commenting back to you about my own post. What a loser I am and will remain. Bleh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home