Saturday, February 25, 2006

Chant from a Holy Book

Gurdjieff spoke of an objective art as the true art form. For him most modern art was "all surface activity: subjective, uncritical manifestations of the personality, egotism unchecked." And I, not seeing it right in front of me the whole time, would ask where this true "objective" art is. Well? Right here. Directly in front of me. It should have the power to speak to all those who witness it in the same way, regardless of their backround. Only now have I grasped at this in even the smallest amount. Minutes ago the feeling was so exact, so clear, but now, only by my own fault has it diminished at all. Perhaps this objectivity extends to everything. The sensation of warm water on my hands as I washed them earlier today instantly reminded me of someone very close to me, without the slightest attempt at making a connection from the warmth of the water to the warmth of the person.
Finally I've hurled that irritating stepping stone onto the previous one and found out alittle more why I feel the need to hear so much in such short amounts of time, never quite settling on one particular form of music, but rather taking the parts that my as yet unfound "astral body" of sorts knows it needs. With this stone now mounted on the previous one more things are bound to arise, but it's more exciting than it is distressful. We can only know the power of something to us if it is stripped from us, if only for a short time. But perhaps that's a stretch.
Niles has mentioned Project Octave again recently and has told me that it is the first thing on his agenda once he is out of school. This is great news. One of the most fascinating things about him is the way he walks. I always look forward to seeing him walk from one place to another. Although at first glance he is a bit of an ackward looking fella, his posture is spot on. No huntching of any sort, and somewhat of a feline grace. Strange to say, but with a few moments of observation it is obvious. He carries himself the same way musically. A very very rare find in anyone. Although some others have presented themselves, maybe not musically, but personally. And now AOL seems to be giving me trouble once again. Yucka.

1 Comments:

At February 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had actually hoped David Hyde Pierce would be mentioned Katie, but WHATEVER. Also, next time you're out romance novel shopping, pick me up a few, mine are sti..... NOT sticky.
-Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home