Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"There's really only so much you can do."

I disagree Mr. Title. My father and I were discussing how far the Keith Jarrett piano improvisations can actually go in terms of what paths they lead down because of my recent purchase of yet another album of his. I spoke of what my first impression of it was and how I didn't feel it had the same fire that the others that we've heard have. He said he asked a guy who used to work at the Rockpile that now works at a tire place up the street whom he's become acquainted with recently if he wanted us to burn it for him and he said he had about all the Keith Jarrett he wanted. My dad said that he said "There's really only so much you can do" when it comes to his improvisations so there wasn't really a desire for him to hear more. He brought up a couple of valid points that I could understand where he was coming from, and in a way agreed. Upon listening to the album again not over an hour ago I realized something almost immediately about it. I no longer agree with that statement whatsoever. I found it is all in the particular persons desire to truly know what is involved in the particular piece of music. There can be repetitiveness, meandering (seemingly), and redundancy, but that's only if one doesn't choose to look deeper. I felt a little sick about half way through the piece because his intent in what he was playing became very clear to me. Every note seemed to play an equal part rather than what I felt yesterday when I first heard it, which was that it was a bit disjointed insofar as much as the first (main) improv had a few different parts to it they didn't seem to have a lot to do with eachother. I knew my first impression would change but I didn't think it would be as sudden as this. It rarely happens the day after first listen. It was a great wonderment to me that so much was in this piece that I hadn't heard at first.
If we heard precisely what was trying to be conveyed by an honest piece of music every time and really felt what it meant just by listening, we would hardly have the strength to continue to listen. It would be too much to bear.

"There is an art of listening. To be able to really listen, one should abandon or put aside all prejudices, performulations and daily activities... But unfortunately most of us listen through a screen of resistance. We are screened with prejudices, whether religious or spiritual, psychological or scientific; or with our daily worries, desires and fears. And with these for a screen we listen. Therefore, we listen really to our own noise, to our own sound, not to what is being said. It is extremely difficult to put aside our training, our prejudices, our inclination, our resistance, and, reaching beyond our verbal expression, to listen so that we understand instantaneously." - J. Krishnamurti, The First and Last Freedom

2 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 at 4:20 PM, Blogger Tim? said...

I do feel differently about it. It's not that I don't like as at much, it's more that it strikes me in a much different way than the others. After I listened a second time I understood far better what was happening and the impact was tremendous.
Seriously Katie, you have to lay off the pot for ONE DAY, maybe I'll actually go see you once in a while (I cant wait to see you on saturday).
I had an awful dream about you the other night! I wont tell you on here though, I've already made this long enough.

 
At May 16, 2006 at 11:04 AM, Blogger Tim? said...

That is a great quote and it is very very true. That's one of the purest ways to hear a piece of music. It's also one of the hardest ways, but the reward is worth every bit of strain and frustration one would have while trying to play something over and over. And don't be sorry for commenting alot. In fact, do it until you can't do it anymore, because I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home