Monday, November 01, 2004

Nap Time.

Man Im sleepy. Not as sleepy as Sleepy Time Jones though. God that's a great character. I feel I have to kiss John's feet for making that one up.

Twenty days from seeing Chick Corea. I told Gary I was going to see him this month yesterday and he made me even more excited about it cause he was talking about other people he's seen that are similar in some ways to Chick Corea and he said its quite the experience seeing people like that play.

So here's what I'm thinkin. I've had this thought in my head but I never really tried to put it into words, but I think I may have found how to articulate it. At least some, anyway. So I've been thinking of people I listen to, or just most really great musicians/composers and how it seems, in some, if not alot of ways, music has taken quite the nose dive over the past couple of decades. Now think of the stuff that people from hundreds of years ago up until 30 or so years ago listened to. They didn't have nearly as much music as we have today so readily available. Nowadays we take for granted the countless different ways we listen to such great music on a daily basis and how easy it is to just go down to the cd store and get whatever you want within minutes of being first interested in it. Think of how much more difficult it was so long (or not so long) ago to find different types of music that we have endless amounts of now. So back then they were pretty much forced, unless you were pretty wealthy, to listen to whatever was popular on the dance floor or whatever the cheapest record was at the local record store to put into a lo-fi Decca record player. And before that, (Im talking more along the lines of a couple hundred years ago or so) the only way to even hear music or be entertained by it was to go to a concert hall or to know a musician, probably not one that could play so great, and the sound of the time, as I think alot of people dont consider, is that they didnt have the technology we have today to make everything sound beautiful and to splice everything together to make The Ultimate Take, nor did they have the "tricks" that most of us have grown up with to make the "natural" sound of an instrument sound so good. So, my point is, notice how what previous musicians listened to and how the quality, quantity, and basic instrumentation and arrangement, unless it being from a more classical period, was usually fairly poor. So as time went on, different musicians, who we regard as standards today, found out ways to improve upon earlier things and vary it into many different forms as we now know as 'genres'. We are now at a point where quality of sound and sales are held higher than quality of the actual music being played. SO, basically, the only reason I said all this was because I realized this in a much greater light this morning and I felt like sharing it. Im sure some of you may think that I didn't really finish what I was saying as best I could, but my goal was just to say as much as I did, so Im happy with it nonetheless. I leave you with this: "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work."- Gustave Flaubert

3 Comments:

At November 1, 2004 at 7:37 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

What about those who are constipated?

 
At November 2, 2004 at 2:20 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

I think you would have finished it better if you ended it with a pun. Something reminiscent Rocky and Bullwinkle. That would have been sweet.

 
At November 6, 2004 at 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tim u get too intellectual for me, to the point where nything i say will sound stupid. but u make me think. in any case.... idk, luv ya tim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home